For experienced users who already own a Raspberry PI3/Pi4 unit, StellarMate OS is a complete software package ready for deployment on your Raspberry Pi. It is provided as a compressed OS Image file (.img.xz) that you can burn to an SD card and fire it up immediately to enjoy the full benefit of StellarMate software stack. The following packages are included in addition to the base OS:
- Astrometry.net with index files.
- StellarMate Web Manager.
- StellarMate Network Manager.
- StellarMate Serial Port Assistant.
- Raspberry PI 3/4+
- A 16GB+ Class 10 MicroSD card is highly recommended.
A 3A+ 5v power supply (3 Amps or higher) is required in order to properly operate StellarMate OS on Raspberry Pi 3/4. Using anything less than 3A would result in system instablities and possible corruption. Invest in a reputable power supply before you boot StellarMate OS.
After your purchase, you will receieve a link in the email to download the file. Since the file size is ~1.9 GB, it is highly recommended to use a dedicated download manager to download the file. After you download the file appropiate for your Raspberry Pi version, you can verify its integrity by computing its hash. Use Quick Hash GUI to verify the integrity of the image file. The following are MD5 and SHA256 hashes of the xz file:
- MD5: 30810b3bab49aca96ec2be59bd259e45
- SHA256: 9509bf4cff8bd30414dbdfa119b011fa619f1bf6575d63bbc79506038b7a886f
- MD5: 30810b3bab49aca96ec2be59bd259e45
If you need to download StellarMate OS again in the future, make sure you are logged in to the stellarmate.com website and then go to the Orders page. You should see a list of your orders. Click on your order link, then scroll down to see the downloads. Make sure to download the SM OS version appropiate for your hardware platform.
Etcher is a graphical SD card writing tool that works on Mac OS, Linux and Windows, and is the easiest option for most users. Etcher also supports writing images directly from the zip file, without any unzipping required. To write your image with Etcher:
- Download Etcher and install it.
- Connect an SD card reader with the SD card inside.
- Open Etcher and select from your hard drive the StellarMate
.xzfile you want to write to the SD card.
- Select the SD card you wish to write your image to.
- Review your selections and click 'Flash!' to begin writing data to the SD card.
Once the image is burned to the card, insert the microSD card into Raspberry PI3 and power it up.
Note: StellarMate can take up to 2 minutes before switching to HotSpot mode on first startup.
- The default StellarMate OS password is smate
- The default StellarMate WiFi HotSpot password is stellar@mate
StellarMate is a verstile OS that supports multiple methods to control it.
- The first and primary supported method to control StellarMate remotely is via the Ekos 64bit desktop application on Mac/Linux/Windows.
- The secondary supported method is to treat StellarMate as a mini-PC and access it over VNC or directly via HDMI/Keyboard/Mouse. You can use Ekos directly on StellarMate and it supports all the features just like the 64bit version.
- The final and third method is via the StellarMate Mobile App. The app is still in development and does not cover many features in the desktop application.
For new users, using StellarMate effectively can take a bit of a learning curve (like everything else) especially given the breadth of the features if provides. Here are some useful resources to get your started:
We are proud to offer top-notch support for our customers. Please make sure to checkout first the Frequently Asked Questions and Knowledge Base articles. To report any issues with StellarMate or Ekos, please submit a ticket and our support team should get back to you as soon as possible. Please make sure to submit the relevant logs to aid in diagnosting and resolving the issue efficiently.
- v1.5.5 Release 2020-11-21
- Preliminary support for Live Stacking.
- Updated INDI Library v1.8.7 and KStars 3.5.0
- Required for SM App on iOS/Android stores.
- v1.5.4 Release 2020-08-21
- Fixed Issue when using external USB hubs.
- v1.5.3 Release 2020-07-21
- Added support for Raspberry PI4 8GB variant.
- Added support for Mount Bluetooth Pairing.
- Canon CR3 format support.
- New Native Pentax DSLR drivers.
- Always-on Hotspot mode.
- Updated INDI Library v1.8.6 and KStars 3.4.3.
- v1.5.2 Release 2020-04-26
- Improved WiFi connectvity with some devices (Samsung)
- Updated INDI Library v1.8.5 and KStars 3.4.2
- Updated firmware for better thermal management.
- v1.5.1 Release 2020-02-24
- Fixed HotSpot login.
- Fixed Sync GPS button.
- Improved Device Auto Detection.
- v1.5.0 Release 2020-02-14
- Stable release for both RPI3 and RPi4
- Updated INDI Library v1.8.4 and KStars 3.4.0
- Support for Offline Viewer (Requires StellarMate Mobile App).
- v1.4.6 Release 2019-12-10
- RPI4 version fixed issues in WiFI.
- RPi3 version received few updates.
- v1.4.5 Release 2019-11-17
- Updated INDI Library v1.8.2 and KStars v3.3.8
- First 64bit release for Raspberry PI4
- New StellarMate Web based dashboard.
- Available for Raspberry PI 3 and 4.
I Just installed Stellarmate OS today on my RPi4 - I gave it a test run for connectivity and everything started right up and all drivers were working. SO far my setup includes the following: EQMOD, Canon DSLR, ZWO ASI EAF and ZWO CCD(guiding w/ 120mm Mini). Everything has worked as intended. I found it easiest to use a screen sharing program. Everything was a little bit slower, but not by much. Focusing maybe took an extra 3 or 4 seconds to download the image and capturing an image in the capture module maybe took an extra 2 or 3 seconds. However for focusing, binning is going to be an option. Nothing was laggy or too slow. It worked perfect and I am so excited to use this in the future.Daniel DeSclafani
FIVE STARS! With this software I can control my Meade Maksutov Telescope MC 127/1900 StarNavigator NG 125 Mak AZ GoTo remotely! It only needs a serial Adapter cable from Raspberry Pi (4) to Handbox. With KSTARS, I can not only steer the telescope - when the guide is active, object tracking even works, which is also displayed in KSTARS. Thanks to INDI! Many thanks also to the Support. The possibilities are literally limitless!acenthyl