For experienced users who already own a Raspberry PI 3 unit (including the newly released RPI3B+), StellarMate OS is a complete software package ready for deployment on your RPI3/RPI3B+. It is provided as a compressed OS Image file (.img.xz) that you can burn to an SD card and fire it up immediately to enjoy the full benefit of StellarMate software stack. The following packages are included in addition to the base OS:
- Astrometry.net with index files.
- StellarMate Web Manager.
- StellarMate Network Manager.
- StellarMate Serial Port Assistant.
- Raspberry PI 3/3B+
- 8GB MicroSD. A 16GB+ Class 10 MicroSD card is highly recommended.
After your purchase, you will receieve a link in the email to download the file. Since the file size is ~2.2 GB, it is highly recommended to use a dedicated download manager to download the file. After you download the file (StellarMateOS_1.4.2.xz), you can verify its integrity by computing its hash. Use Quick Hash GUI to verify the integrity of the image file. The following are MD5 and SHA256 hashes of the xz file:
- MD5: f5c86e60a63fb700c3fa776c8b101e90
- SHA256: e7320d9cf7c5badbf0b1da8380135ec71d6ece3d3744a3cfa7fef6e840d0dbed
Etcher is a graphical SD card writing tool that works on Mac OS, Linux and Windows, and is the easiest option for most users. Etcher also supports writing images directly from the zip file, without any unzipping required. To write your image with Etcher:
- Download Etcher and install it.
- Connect an SD card reader with the SD card inside.
- Open Etcher and select from your hard drive the StellarMate
.xzfile you want to write to the SD card.
- Select the SD card you wish to write your image to.
- Review your selections and click 'Flash!' to begin writing data to the SD card.
Once the image is burned to the card, insert the microSD card into Raspberry PI3 and power it up.
Note: StellarMate can take up to 2 minutes before switching to HotSpot mode on first startup.
- The default StellarMate OS password is smate
- The default StellarMate WiFi HotSpot password is stellar@mate
For new users, using StellarMate effectively can take a bit of a learning curve (like everything else) especially given the breadth of the features if provides. Here are some useful resources to get your started:
We are proud to offer top-notch support for our customers. Please make sure to checkout first the Frequently Asked Questions and Knowledge Base articles. To report any issues with StellarMate or Ekos, please submit a ticket and our support team should get back to you as soon as possible. Please make sure to submit the relevant logs to aid in diagnosting and resolving the issue efficiently.
- v1.4.2 Released 2019-06-25
- Long-Term-Support (LTS) release.
- Self-updating Core SM OS.
- Compatible with StellarMate App v1.9.11+
- Updated to INDI Library v.1.7.9 and KStars v3.3.1
- v1.4.1 Released 2019-05-30
- Minor bugfix release.
- v1.4.0 Released 2019-05-20
- Support for New StellarMate App.
- Rebased to Ubuntu 18.04
- Updated to INDI Library v1.7.8 and KStars 3.2.3
- v1.3.5 Released 2019-05-01
- Fixed update issue.
- v1.3.4 Released 2019-0422
- Fixed upload problem with v1.3.3.
- v1.3.3 Release 2019-04-19
- Fixed update problem.
- Updated to INDI Library v1.7.7 and KStars 3.2.0
- v1.3.2 Released 2019-03-09
- Stability improvements.
- Updated to INDI Library v1.7.6 and KStars 3.1.1
- v1.3.1 Released 2018-11-23
- Fixed uncommon bootup issue with SD card.
- Updated to INDI Library v1.7.5 and KStars 2.9.8
- v1.3.0 Released 2018-06-10
- Added support for RTC (Real Time Clock).
- Updated to INDI Library v1.7.3 and KStars 2.9.6
- v1.2.9 Released 2018-04-16
- Fixed compatibitliy issues with Raspberry PI 3B+
- Improved networking stack
- Updated to INDI Library v1.7.0 and KStars 2.9.4
- v1.2.8 Released 2018-03-24
- StellarMate OS now comptabile with the newly released Raspberry PI 3B+
- StellarMate Tools updated to provide more fuctionality.
- Direct Ethernet works without any configuration, just Plug & Play!
- Improved web based VNC access with modern interface.
- Faster Boot up time.
- v1.2.7 Release 2018-02-05
- StellarMate Web Manager bug fixes.
- Better Support for GPS dongles.
What an amazing piece of software! Once I had updated the firmware in my hand controller and got the network addresses right connections were made without a hitch and testing the software indoors it worked just as it should. If there is a gripe it is that on closing Kstars I see that there are pop up boxes which popped up but didn't appear on top of Kstars. Not that that matters too much as the information comes up in the Ekos server logs in any case. One oddity I have noticed is that occasionally parking my HEQ5 pro and the mount will slew past the park position and park itself 180 degrees away in the exact opposite position. Probably something I have got wrong somewhere along the line. If you looking for software to control your Astrophotography gear then this will certainly do the job and is a considerable step up from Stellarium or sky Safari. or using multiple packages as I have been doing. Best of all it works on a Mac. All that said of course I have to test it under the stars and see how things like plate solving work for me. For now though I am very impressed with what this package will do.Frodo57
I would probably give it 4 stars because its a slick tool that can work well. Mount control for go-to and polar alignment and plate solving work well but internal guiding not so much - could use more control to PHD2 - such as launching it. I have the first release but I've been following Kstars/INDI development for 6-8 months and there are still bugs to be ironed out. In spite of that, I've decided to make stellarmate my main tool for astrophotography.Greg Beaton